Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Monday, April 03, 2006

New season, new year.

Happy Spring Everyone!

Well it was finally starting to look like warm'n'lovely days could be ahead of us, and now I see that flurries are in the forecast for tomorrow. Let the record show that I am not pleased.

I must say a huge thank you to the folks who played in Friends With Benefits on March 17th - Dan Goldman, Grainne Ryan, Paul Cannata, Shauna Major, Mike Audet and The Brooks Sisters. Much appreciation to Mary Arthur for filling in for an ill artist at the last minute and aweing the room with her cello. Thanks to Josh on bar, Brian on sound, and once again Kathrin for her support. Here's the tune that I wrote the night that I decided to start the series. It was after the Iranian earthquake last year. This is a very rough demo with just a drum loop and very simple other stuff, but the song won't be on a future album so I thought I'd share Wishing Will with you here.

While I'm on the topic of shows, I must tell you all about my next one. A few years ago I started Girlz Doin' Girlz, featuring local chiquitas performing the work of their favourite Canadian female artists. Now we're going Boy Crazy, in a celebration of male artists by still more local lassies. Not only will the women perform, but they'll share a bit about why certain men have inspired and influenced them as songwriters. I think it's going to be an amazing night so I highly encourage people to come out!

I had a birthday last week, and took the time to think a lot about life, its peaks and its pitfalls. It's odd how one day you can just not feel that young anymore, when you look back and suddenly there's this vivid history that's yours and it spans the length of an entire generation. You wonder if you're reasonably intelligent yet or still really dumb in the scheme of things. You ponder whether who you are now is truly the sum of all your life experience, or perhaps just the summation of it, and if some crucial lessons have gone over your head completely. What does a digit in your age changing really mean? 365 days more of understanding perhaps, or just a slower metabolism? (Sigh) I figure that birthdays are life's request that we take notice of ourselves. I think they're a gentle nudge, a true gift, a reminder that we're not here forever so best to step on it. So many people lament their birthdays, but seriously - what is the alternative to not having your next one? We really must all endeavour to live and love and laugh while we're here, even when we don't feel like doing any of 'em. And learn of course. Always learn.

Whether this is very early wish for you - or a very belated one - Happy Birthday. I'm glad you were all born. =)

Best wishes for the new season, Tanisha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home